Yonat Piva, MA, is a Licensed Marriage Family Therapist (LMFT) who brings a lifetime of deepening self-awareness to her practice as a vocalist, facilitator and healing artist and mother. Yonat holds a Master's degree in Somatic (body-oriented) Psychotherapy and has professional training in music, massage, yoga, mindfulness meditation and wilderness therapy. She specializes in postpartum and maternal mental health, recovery from eating disorders, substance abuse, depression, anxiety and trauma.
She is a singer, songwriter and guitarist and holds the voice as the central element to both her healing and creative processes.
Born in Milwaukee, her original musical role models were rooted in blues, jazz and American folk. She is also deeply influenced by Jewish prayer and Israeli soul music. Yonat studied music performance and has also trained in the art of Indian Classical vocal music.
Listening to her inner voice and the voices and bodies of those around her, she invites a fullness and aliveness that may have been just under the surface. Her intuition as a teacher and therapist is founded in experience and training in the physiological aspects of trauma on the nervous system. She brings heartfelt empathy and a passionate, candid voice to nurture honest self-exploration.
Whether counseling, teaching or performing, Yonat moves seamlessly between her roles with the foundation of understanding that the body and breath are our most powerful ally to find grounding, presence, expression and wholeness in our lives.
- Postpartum International Support training
- In depth training with Rites of Passage, Authentic Movement, Yoga and meditation.
- Clinical Case Manager at Jewish Family & Children's Services
- Psychotherapist at Full Heart Treatment Center for Eating Disorders in Santa Rosa, CA
- School Based Mental Health Clinician at Sonoma County High Schools
- Individual counseling with people dealing with long term, severe mental illness
- Case manager and facilitator at residential drug and alcohol treatment facility in San Francisco
- Master's Degree in Somatic Psychotherapy from California Institute of Integral Studies
- Bachelor's Degree with a focus on Somatics and Music performance